Egg Roll in a Bowl
Updated: Jun 24, 2021
I LOVE Chinese food. And I do miss it...but honestly there is not one time I've had Chinese carryout and not regretted it. First off it does not sit well with my stomach. I get bloated and it just doesn't make me feel good. Yes...you can count on me for some real talk! Secondly it's just not good food! We can make such better food in our own kitchens with fresh ingredients and not covered in oil and thick icky sauce in no time at all! I was so happy when I searched and found this Egg roll in a bowl recipe. I like to top it with a little Asian Chili pepper sauce, the one from Trader Joes is good! You can add in an FFC (fiber filling carb) like quinoa, but I don't even need it. A 1/4 of a pan is a serving of this deliciousness! Get the bagged cole slaw to make it even easier. You can do ground turkey or any ground meat you like. Just make sure to drain the fat. I also love the tubes of Ginger that can be found at Trader Joes as well. You can keep them in the fridge and use when you need it and no need to worry about your ginger going bad! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
1 lb lean ground pork or turkey
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, shredded
3 T low sodium liquid aminos
2 t rice wine vinegar
Sliced Green Onions, for garnish
1. In 12" skillet over medium high heat, brown meat, breaking it up as it browns - remove from pan and set aside
2. Add sliced onions to the pan with a pinch of sea salt, cook for about 10 min till tender.
3. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 1 min
4. Add cabbage and carrots, cook until wilted down, about 5-7 minutes
5. Return meat to skillet, add liquid aminos and vinegar, reduce heat to medium low and cook 5-7 minutes more.
6. Serve over brown rice and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.