An easy week night meal that should go in your plan for next week! We are in the season of comfort food and who doesn’t like a good meat pie!
My son loves Shepherd's pie! This recipe has all the flavor and is a very easy week night meal, or a meal-prep Sunday meal idea.
olive oil or cooking spray
1 cup of diced carrots
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1/3 cup of chicken broth
1 tsp of Himalayan salt
3 Tbsp of tomato paste
1 lb organic lean ground turkey or ground sirloin (fat drained)
2 cups of chopped cauliflower
2 cups of red potatoes
1 cup of frozen peas
2 Tbsp of vegan butter, olive oil, or ghee
1 cup of cheese & chopped green onions (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, then add in cauliflower. Boil for another 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime, spray fry pan with cooking spray and cook veggies on low for 10 minutes or until they begin to soften, adding a few tablespoons of water to help them steam, if necessary.
3. Add in turkey/beef and cook through.
4. Stir in chicken broth, 1/2 tsp of salt and tomato paste and continue to cook until the sauce thickens a bit. Then add the peas.
5. Preheat your oven to 350.
6. When potatoes and cauliflower are finished, drain them well, then place in a mixer. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 T of olive oil, ghee or vegan butter and mix. If necessary, add in a tablespoon or two of chicken broth.
6. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray and fill first with the meat/veggie mixture, then cover with the potato/cauliflower mix.
7. Add on top one cup of cheese & green onions (optional).
8. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
We serve with a salad or green beans.