We LOVE Cuban sandwiches and I love this lighter take made as a quesadilla. I made mine in a low carb high protein wrap!
Ingredients for Pork
3 lb boneless pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
3 oranges, juice of (or 1/2 cup)
2 limes, juice of
Instructions for Pork
1. Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over pork.
2. Place in the ceramic crock, cover and refrigerate, turning pork occasionally so the marinade covers all of pork.
4. The next day, remove the crock pot and cook on low, 8 hours.
5. After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks.
6. Remove liquid from crock pot and add pork back to crock.
7. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back and adjust salt, pepper and cumin. Let it sit on warm until needed.
Ingredients for Quesadilla
Swiss cheese, one or two slices per
Ham, one or two slices per
Yellow mustard (or preference)
Tortillas large (or preference)
Assemble a quesadilla by placing in order on one half of a tortilla: Swiss cheese, slice or two of ham, shredded pork, pickle, and mustard. Fry on a griddle both sides until crispy and melty.
I served with bacon Brussel sprouts and it was amazing!