Chipotle Turkey Taco Skillet
Here’s your meals on a budget meal for the week!
Ain’t no bowl like a taco bowl in our house. This was a hit tonight. Easy to throw together & very filling. I adapted this turkey taco skillet from Skinny Taste with some of my fav change ups. I doubled this recipe and we have plenty of leftovers.
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced (about 3/4 inch)
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 can fire roasted diced tomato
1 jalapeño, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 a bunch chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup water
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 chipotle pepper chopped, with seeds for spicy
1. Spray a large skillet over high heat with oil and brown the turkey, season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cumin. About 5 minutes.
2. Push the meat to the side, add the onion and tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
3. Add the black beans, corn, tomato, jalapeño & chipotle pepper, garlic, cilantro and stir with 1/4 cup water.
4. Add the zucchini, lime juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cumin.
5. Mix and cover, simmer low 4 to 5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender but crisp.
6. Garnish with lime wedges and more cilantro if desired.
Can be served alone or over rice, with fixings. I had mine over spring greens with a few crushed tortilla chips, dab of sour cream & sprinkle of cheese.