Chicken Enchilada Skillet
We eat tacos or enchiladas at least once a week. Try out this easy and healthy chicken enchilada skillet.
This can come together super fast for a weeknight meal when you Instapot the chicken on meal prep Sunday!
1 tsp vegetable oil
½ onion chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 16-ounce jar enchilada sauce
1/4 cup sour cream plus more for serving
4 corn tortillas torn into quarters
4 cups shredded chicken
1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
3 ounces shredded cheese such as a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (about 3/4 cup)
1 small bunch chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. Heat the oil in a 10-inch oven-safe (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl; set aside the hot skillet.
5. Add to the onion mixture the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and 1/4 cup water. Stir to combine.
6. Fold in the tortillas, chicken, and beans until thoroughly coated.
7. Top with shredded cheese and cook until cheese is melted and food is heated through (about 5-10 minutes).
8. Top with cilantro when ready to serve.