Breakfast Shepherd's Pie
Updated: Sep 22, 2021
While making the kid's breakfast burritos for the week, I put this together too. I legit can’t wait to bring this healthy casserole to the next family event!
1/2 pound Breakfast Sausage (turkey to keep it leaner)
8 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups of grated potatoes (I subbed in 1 cup of cauliflower rice)
1 cup cheese (optional)
1 Tbsp. Ghee (divided in 1⁄2)
1⁄4 cup water
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Lightly coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with spray; set aside.
3. Heat 1⁄2 Tbsp. ghee in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add breakfast sausage; cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crumbled and cooked most of the way through.
4. Add water, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and 1⁄4 tsp. salt; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
5. Transfer contents of skillet to a prepared baking dish.
6. Wipe out skillet, spray with cooking spray, cook eggs to soft scramble, and add to baking dish.
7. Wrap grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel (or paper towels); wring out as much liquid as possible.
8. Add potatoes to a medium bowl; combine with remaining 1⁄2 Tbsp. ghee and 1⁄2 tsp. salt. Spread potatoes evenly over top of egg mixture.
9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until potatoes are brown and crisp.
10. Top with cheese (if desired); bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
This makes 4 servings. I had with a mixed green salad.
Link to video: